A Victorian councillor has had her Twitter account suspended after she tweeted graphic female genital mutilation photos to a supporter of a controversial mosque development.

苏州半永久

Bendigo councillor Elise Chapman has been outspoken against Islam in her campaign to stop a $3 million mosque development, approved by Bendigo City Council in June 2014.

A mosque supporter had sent a message on Twitter to Chapman stating she hoped the mosque gets built soon.

“It’s great to see someone who cares about all Bendigo residents and their religions,” the supporter tweeted.

Ms Chapman responded with the image showing five babies with bloody wounds.

“Oh, we could have this here too? Would you like your fanny sliced off,” she captioned the photo.

“Yes. I’m opposed to female genital mutilation, child brides, inequality, women beating, all part of Quran, read it.”

Chapman’s account was suspended by Twitter on Thursday night and she now faces a meeting with City of Greater Bendigo Mayor Peter Cox next week.

The tweets do not reflect the view of the council which voted to approve the development in June last year, Mr Cox told AAP.

He said he would initiate a process to address the issue of Ms Chapman’s “disappointing” opinion, but would not say what that process will involve.

“Hopefully we can discuss this in a fair manner and take it from there,” he said.

Ms Chapman was one of two councillors who voted against approving the mosque, which would include two prayer rooms, a shop and community sports centre.

The project has been the subject of vocal protests and a social media campaign from opponents, including 350 who submitted formal objections to the council.

About 40 letters of support were also received.

The planning approval has been appealed to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, and hearings are ongoing.